If you own a home or mobile home and are buying on a recorded contract, and use it as your primary place of residence, your home and up to one acre of land could qualify for a Homestead deduction. One homestead only per married couple allowed in the State of Indiana IC 6-1.1-12-37
General Instructions for All Deductions
Deduction applications must be completed and dated by December 31st before the first year the taxpayer wishes to claim the deduction and must be filed in the Auditor’s office or postmarked on or before January 5th of the year the taxpayer qualifies to obtain the deduction.
NOTE: IF THIS IS A NEW PURCHASE PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR CLOSING COMPANY, NORMALLY THEY FILE YOUR HOMESTEAD DEDUCTION FOR YOU
The Auditor’s office encourages you to complete your Homestead and/or Mortgage deduction online, but you may also complete it in person. The Auditor’s Office is located at 86 W Court Street Franklin, IN. The office is open from 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M., Monday through Friday. We are closed all major holidays. You can reach a customer service representative by calling 317.346.4312 or email Pburton@co.johnson.in.us
To submit your Homestead and/or Mortgage deduction online visit: www.co.johnson.in.us
In order to submit the application online you must have the following information:
• A personal e-mail address.
• The last five digits of your Indiana Driver’s License number AND the last five digits of your Social Security number.
• The last five digits of your Spouse’s Indiana Driver’s License number AND the last five digits of your Spouse’s Social Security number.
• If your property is titled in the name of a trust you will need to mail a copy of the trust documents to the Johnson County Auditor’s Office.
• If you or your spouse does not have a Driver’s License or Indiana State Identification Card, please contact our office at 317.346.4321 for instructions on how to complete the form.
To learn about the State’s most common deductions and the associated eligibility requirements of each, see the links below. All deductions other than the Homestead and the Mortgage must be filed at the Johnson County Auditor’s Office. Please do not print the form from the states web site for the purpose of completing an application.
Homestead Credit & Homestead Standard/Supplemental Deductions
Over 65 Deduction and Over 65 Circuit Breaker Credit