General Inspection Information
- BEFORE construction begins YOU MUST contact the Planning & Zoning Office to schedule an Erosion Control meeting (if this is a condition of your permit)
- Permits and a copy of your stamped “Released for Construction” plans MUST BE on-site at all times. Once windows are installed, the permit MUST BE placed in a window, visible from the road.
- When inspections are performed, the inspector must be able to have access to the permit card in order to sign when inspection is completed.
- ALL Building Inspections MUST BE scheduled with the Planning & Zoning staff, NO inspections will be scheduled if left on voicemail. When calling to schedule an inspection please provide either the permit number, address, name of subdivision & lot number, or homeowner last name.
- Residential inspections MUST BE scheduled at least one (1) business day prior to inspection(s).
- Non-Residential inspections MUST BE scheduled at least two (2) business days prior to inspection(s).
- Footing Inspections can be scheduled for a set time, but all other inspections are scheduled by the day. You may request AM or PM, but that cannot be guaranteed depending on the rest of the day(s) schedule.
AFTER trench is dug but BEFORE concrete is poured
On poured concrete basement walls and grouted block basement walls prior to pouring concrete. The purpose of this will be to inspect reinforcement (rebar) placement to ensure compliance with Section R404.1.2 Concrete foundation walls and Tables R401.1.1(1), R401.1.1(2), R401.1.1(3), and R401.1.1(4).
PRIOR to any framing
After electrical service box has been installed but BEFORE service hook-up-utility company must see our tag first. This includes all upgrades to electrical service, and if meter base has been relocated
AFTER the roof, interior & exterior framing is complete but BEFORE gypsum board and insulation are installed
prior to hanging gypsum board but after batt, blown or spray foam types of insulation have been installed. The purpose of this inspection is to ensure compliance with the adopted energy code (Chapter 11) of the Indiana Residential Code.
AFTER the lines are installed but BEFORE gypsum board and insulation are installed
AFTER plumbing has been roughed in but BEFORE slab floor is poured
AFTER all boxes are set and wire is pulled but BEFORE gypsum board and insulation are installed
PRIOR to installing gypsum board, but AFTER installing insulation
AFTER all improvements have been installed but BEFORE occupancy of the structure. *All items must be submitted to office PRIOR to scheduling if there were conditions of your permit*
These can be scheduled with final inspections
**Reasons that only a Temporary Occupancy would be given are**
1. The yard is not graded, seeded or mulched
2. There are a few things found during the final inspection that need to be corrected.
3. Bargersville Utilities have not given a “full sign-off” to the property (either water or sewer or both)
4. Localized Elevation Certificate has not been submitted to office (if applicable)
If a TCO is granted, it be for a certain amount of time. At the time the TCO is granted, the office staff will schedule a FCO when the TCO expires.
If a TCO is granted because the yard isn’t complete, a “drive-by” FCO will be done by the Chief Building Official or Building Inspector.
If a TCO is granted because of further work to the property, the building official may need access to the property to confirm completion.
These can be scheduled with the final inspection AFTER all improvements have been installed but BEFORE occupancy of the structure
Building Permit Packets for Johnson County Planning & Zoning can be found by clicking on the links below. Any building questions regarding these can be directed to Wes Harris – Chief Building Official at (317) 346-4350.
Commercial Building Packet
Residential Building Packet
Residential Accessory Structure Building Packet
Pole Barn Building Packet
Deck Building Packet
Residential Building Permit Application
Sub-Contractor Sign-Off Sheet
Commercial Building Permit Application
Commercial Plan Authentication Agreement
Contractor Listing Exemption Affidavit
Land Use Verification Form
Modular Home Application
Temporary Use Application
Sign Permit Application
Exempt Sub Application
Temporary Placement of Mobile Home Application
Affidavit of Intent for Residential Use
Electrical Service Checklist
Cell Tower Application
Affidavit of Intent for Agricultural Use
Affidavit removing Residence
In Johnson County we don’t have a “licensing” program, but we do have is a Contractor Listing Program. This listing allows you to be able to pull a permit on behalf of the homeowner. Keep in mind that this is only for the unincorporated areas of the County, and that other offices have their own requirements.
To be listed Contractor with the County, you need:
- a $20,000 Surety Bond made payable to Johnson County and/or an unknown third party. The bond MUST BE for at least a year, and does not have to extend from January to December of that year. These bonds can be obtained through a local insurance agent.
- a $150 fee for the listing (we accept cash or check only)
The listing is good for one year, and you will receive a letter letting you know that your listing is about to expire soon. There are no penalties if you decided to let your listing “lapse” and renew it at a later date.
Please click HERE to download the Contractor Listing Kit. If you have additional questions, please contact the office.