The Johnson County WIC Program
The WIC program helps families like yours start strong and stay that way. We are a special supplemental food and nutrition program that provides you with checks that you use to get nutritious foods, free.
Those eligible for WIC include:
- Pregnant women
- New moms (up to six months after delivery)
- Breastfeeding moms (up to one year after delivery)
- Children up to age five
Our WIC participants receive nutrition education and nutrition counseling as well as height/weight assessments and anemia testing, that is administered by Registered Dietitian or a Registered Nurse. Referrals to other health and social services are also provided. Breast milk is the optimal nutrition for infants so WIC provides breastfeeding support to moms and babies, as well as offering breastfeeding classes to prenatal women. At our clinic we have lactation consultants on staff and provide breast pumps, if after assessment, it is found that one is needed
The WIC Food Package
WIC participants receive checks that are used at local grocery stores to purchase specific foods which include the following:
- 100% juice
- Peanut Butter
- Whole grains such as
- Whole wheat bread
- Whole wheat tortillas
- Brown Rice
- Whole wheat pasta
- Fruit and Vegetable checks ($8 for children & $11 for women)
- Fish are added to an exclusively breastfeeding woman’s food package.
Infants receive the following food package:
- A supplemental formula package for the infant if the mother chooses not to breastfeed.
- When the infant turns 6 months of age, the WIC food package provides infant cereal and fruit and vegetable jar baby foods.
- If baby is exclusively breastfeeding, then WIC provides additional fruit and vegetable jar baby foods as well as meat jar foods.
All eligible people who receive Medicaid, Food Stamps, and TANF are income-eligible for WIC. For those who do not receive these services, please click here for income guidelines.
If you are pregnant, count yourself as two (2).
*Household means a group of people (related or not) who are living as one economic unit.
Please note: Families already receiving Medicaid, Food Stamps and TANF are also income eligible for the WIC program. Contact Information: Johnson County WIC Program 600 Ironwood Drive, Suite I, Franklin, IN 46131
Area Map Information included in this website is subject to change without notice.
Send mail to email@example.com with questions or comments about this web site.