Johnson County has promulgated and signed into law Ordinance No. 2005-24 regulating persons or facilities engaged in tattoo and/or body piercing within Johnson County.
The purpose of this ordinance is to aid in the regulation of business-related tattoo/body piercing operations and thereby better protect the public health by promoting uniform standards and sanitation guidelines within the industry. (Operations which pierce only the soft tissue of the earlobe are exempt from requirements in this ordinance.)
Some of the highlights of this ordinance are as follows:
- All persons or businesses engaged in a tattoo and/or body piercing trade must be licensed by the Johnson County Health Department. An annual license fee of $500.00 has been established.
- All tattoo/body piercing operations must meet the requirements and standards of operation as put forth in Indiana State Code Rule 410 IAC 1-5 “Sanitary Operations of Tattoo Parlors” and Johnson County Ordinance No. 2005-24. (The state rule may be accessed on the web at http://www.in.gov/isdh/20182.htm .)
- Monthly spore testing of sterilization equipment including autoclave equipment must be submitted to the Johnson County Health Department by the 21st of each month.
- Mobile, temporary, and/or commercial operations in private homes, apartments, etc. are prohibited and persons conducting operations in unlicensed facilities may be fined up to $2,000.
- Licensed facilities are subject to routine and complaint inspections and investigations as deemed necessary by the Johnson County Health Department. Fines for violations of the code may be levied.
- A “Policy for Tattoo and/or Body Piercing Facilities” must be completed and kept on site.
- All tattoo artists & body piercers must acquire an annual Universal Precautions certification from the American Red Cross or equivalent certification. This certification & test may be taken on-line at the Red Cross web site listed as “Universal Precautions for Tattoo Artists & Body Piercers”.
If you have questions, please contact Andrew Miller at 317-346-4380 or email@example.com .