Are you interested in volunteering at the Johnson County Museum of History? Here’s a list of available opportunities:
- Index – We are the repository of a variety of records, including old Johnson County Courthouse records. In order for genealogy researchers to effectively use these, they must be indexed.
- Clipping and copying news articles – We have obituary files, house files, and family history files. We need people to clip and copy these articles and file them away.
- Helping researchers – Once a volunteer is familiar with our library materials, he/she can work with our patrons to locate family information.
- We need people with carpenter skills, and people to move objects, mount items on walls, and help set up for events.
- The Programming Committee meets every third Thursday at 5 p. m. to plan events at the museum, such as Wine and Cheese and All That Jazz, the Voices concert, and Heritage Day.
- Programming Committee members are also needed, as well as all volunteers, to attend these events and help supervise.
- Give tours of the museum to school groups.
- Visit schools to share historical programming.
- Prepare and share education packets.
- Work with educational programming at the museum, like History Camp
For more information about Volunteer Opportunities, or to apply to be a
volunteer, you can call us at (317) 346-4500, or stop by the museum.