Marriage License Requirements
The following are requirements for obtaining a marriage license at
the Johnson County Courthouse:
Applicants can apply online BEFORE coming in at www.in.gov by typing in the search box “Marriage License Application” OR if they do not have computer access at home, they can use a computer at the Courthouse to fill out the 1st portion of the license. Filling out the 1st portion online before coming in will save time. No matter what, they MUST STILL come to the Courthouse to finish up the marriage license before their ceremony.
Items needed to Apply:
- One applicant must be a resident of Johnson County.
- Applicants must be age 18 years or older; OR 17 years of age with parents present to sign.
- Both applicants must come in to finish up their application at the same time; there will be NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Both applicants must bring a picture identification card with a birth date and expiration date; AND a bill for at least one applicant reflecting current Johnson County address.
- The fee for the license is $20.00. It must be cash or debit/credit card; we do not accept personal checks. All debit/credit card transactions will be charged a service fee of $1.75.
- License is good for 60 days.
- There is no waiting period for the marriage license. You receive it the same day that you apply.
- If either applicant has ever been previously married, you must have the date that the marriage ended. We do not need a copy, just the date.
- We are open for marriage license application: Monday thru Friday 8:00 – 4:00
-We will not accept anyone after 4:00!!!
- We are located in the Basement of the Courthouse in Voter Registration.
Out of State Licenses ONLY: The Ceremony must take place in Johnson County to be able to apply for it here. Please bring your ID’s and $62 to pay for the license.